Teacher trainngs from May to June 2021 (online):
Online Workshops, Symposium & Conferences
Forthcomming Workshops | Talks
- 18.03.2021: Workshop “Building Data Literacy with the Teaching Profession at Global Scale” Helmut Schmidt-Universität (Hamburg/Germany)
Online Conferences | Paper Presentations | Talks
- 21. – 23.10.2020: Frontiers in Education (FIE)
- 28. – 30.10.2020: 15th Workshop in Primary and Secondary Computing Education (WiPSCE)
- 03.11.2020: Online Discussion: Digital Worlds – Digital Teaching and Learning, University of Hildesheim/Centrum for Digital Change, Link
- 16. – 22. 11.2020: Entrepreneur talk: Founder week Germany, workshop for entrepreneurship and transfer, panel discussion, Link
- 16. – 18.11.2020: International Conference on Informatics in School: Situation, Evaluation, Problems (ISSEP)
- 20.11.2020: Online Talk: DIGITARIUM 2020 – Discussion at University of Hildesheim: ONLINE Conference, Link
- 04. – 05.12: CeLeB conference Hildesheim
- 14. – 18.09.2020: DELFI 2020 & HDI 2020 – paper presentation (Link)
- 24. -25.09.2020: European Conference of Game-based Learning
- 28.09 – 02.10.2020: GDM-Online conference 2020 (OlTa)
- 17.09.2020: Future Day “Kompetenzzentren”, Online Talk: “Innovative Ideas for Digital Education”
- 02.09.2020: Symposium “Potential Digital for Gendering MINT”
- Live-Discussion about “Gendering MINT digital in lectures”Exchange of experiences to online lectures, e.g., Gender&Informatik: https://www2.hu-berlin.de/genderingmintdigital/LE_Informatik/
- LCT/HCII International 2020: Chairing the online session on “Emerging Technologies for Learning” at HCI 2020 & presenting our paper of the project “RemoteMentor”: Evaluation of interactions between teenage girls, remote tutors, and coding activities in school lessons pp. 547 doi.org/10.1007/978-3-
- 23.03.2020: Online Expert Workshop on the topic „Strengthening Machine Learning Competencies in Germany“ by acatech (German Academy of Science and Engineering) Project page: https://www.acatech.de/projekt/uplinx-inter-universitaeres-qualifikationsprogramm-machine-learning-fuer-die-praxis/
- C2020 Programming Committee – Constructionism 2020 Trinity College Dublin, Ireland from the 26-29 of May 2020
Online Teacher Trainings
A focus of my work is the development and promotion of new digitization services for teachers. In cooperation with the Lower Saxony State Institute for Quality Development in Schools (NLQ) and the Competence Centre for Regional Teacher Training (KHi), I support teachers in meeting the challenges of digitization. As a member of the working group “Schools in Digital Change”, I design several training courses or strategy workshops for this purpuse. People from the university are brought together with teachers to work out specific measures for the implementation and further development of digitization at schools in the region of Hildesheim. These include current topics such as the realization of digital classrooms/infrastructure and the use of digital media in schools.
Teacher Trainings (in German)
- Every first Thursday of the month: Online training “School in the Digital Change”; Topic 03.09.2020: Distance learning/teaching with “Lern-Plattform ‘Niedersächsische Bildungscloud'” (VeDaB)
- “What’s App? School digital! – Hildesheim Educational Days 2020 (Hildesheimer Pädagogische Tage 2020)- ONLINE event (VeDaB)
- “Design your own app”
- “Digitization and teaching: practical examples”.
- Training program “Teaching and Learning with Digital Media” June – November 2020 (6 modules)
Module 4: 06.10.2020:
Details about the training program (PDF) (VeDaB)
- 13.10.2020: WB-Online: Internal Training University Hildesheim
“Using, developing and sharing Open Educational Resources (OER)”
- 03.07.2020: “Collaborative group work with AR/VR”
- 04.06.2020:”Online learning for primary level” (VeDaB)
- 07.05.2020: “Q&A sessions for online education” (VeDaB)
- 03.03.2020: KURZWEIL #2 – “How can digital education in schools succeed?” Details
- 26.02.2020: Mentoring Day 2020 – GHR300 (VeDaB)
- 20.02.2020: Strategy Workshop “Digital Change” (VeDaB)
- 07.11.2019: “Playful activities with smartphones” (VeDaB)
ONLINE "Coding4All" Courses during Easter & Computer Summerschool 2020
All workshops were planned as 4/5-day workshops with 7 hours a day. This year, due to COVID-19, the entire courses, which were originally intended as coding courses on-site in Hildesheim, had to be offered and digitized as online courses. The courses were made available on the new platform DigiDucation (https://www.digiducation.de/online-kurse/).
Further workshops were part of the Computer Sommerschool 2020:
Further online courses (gimp, python, app inventor) and materials are developed together with CS students (future teachers). In November 2020 further online CS courses will be conducted, e.g., together with the Explore ScienCenter in Hildesheim and with the Robert-Bosch-Gesamtschule.
Gaming Apps created by students during the online coding course at Easter 2020.
Scratch and the team of the Raspberry Pi Foundation invited to the Scratch Conference Europe 2019 in Cambridge. It was very inspiring to meet interesting communities from CoderDojo, CodeClub, CoolProject and many others.
It was a pleasure to present our work:
Coding Courses at TU Graz
1st Wimen Symposia in Graz
TU Graz, June 26, 2019
Host for Round Table: DigiEdu – The future of digital education
Discussion rounds on digital education, digital work, how clever is smart? (cities), mobility, energy, and usability.
Our future is no coincidence!
100 years women's studies at TU Graz
TU Graz, May 10, 2019
It has been 100 years since women were allowed to study at TU Grazm Austria. “If they don’t take away any space from the men and don’t damage anything”.
For this event, the gender equality office of TU Graz created photo cards of female researchers at TU Graz with explanations to their research topics. Thanks for this opportunity.
Fotocredit: Renate Trummer
ICGR Poster Session
11-12. April 2019, Rom/Italy
Topics of the conference: Despite some advances being made in the area, topics related to gender research remain pertinent and are gaining momentum in a changing society. It is thus important to empower and to develop research on specific gender topics, in order to acquire a clearer understanding and to obtain important insights.
The Code’n’Stitch Project
Link to the conference
Girls Day 2019
Austrian Chamber of Labour, May 24, 2019
Pocket Code Workshop and speed-dating sessions with female technicans
Female Technicans Talk
Workshop IMAGINE / ICT2018
Remote Mentoring Sessions
The project continues with units in October + November 2018 at two secondary schools. Our mentors (who are university students) help girls who share the screen of their Pocket Code program. They receive 1:1 mentoring exactly when needed. It is a great project 😀
October 2018: IV Inno-Monat
During October the “Innovation-Truck” of the Federation of Austrian Industry was driving through Styira: Deutschlandsberg, Weiz, Fürstenfeld, Leoben and Graz
In four hours workshops students used our app Pocket Code to create their own games and animations
Workshops @SchülerInnen Konferenz "Ich bin online" WKO Steiermark
Workshops: 18th of October @WKO Steiermark
400 students had the chance to visit one of our four workshops at this conference for students. The workshop included:
) What is programming
) What is Catrobat/Pocket Code
) Demo session
) Hands-on sessions
European Conference on Game based Learning (ECGBL) @Sophia Antipolis
Talk @ TU Wien
19th of October
Title: Gender-sensitive computer science didactics to empower women in technology
Abstract (short): Mrs. Bernadette Spieler presents current research and results from her dissertation in the field of gender-sensitive computer science didactics. She presents examples / reflections on gender-mixed classes and “girls-only” coding initiatives. As a result, a new teaching model is presented (in terms of structure, material, language, games, etc.) with the aim of engaging students independently of their gender.
Constructionism @ Vilnius
Conference: 20th – 25th August
Talk 1: Learning to program in a constructionist way
Talk 2: Female Teenagers and Coding: Create Gender Sensitive and Creative Learning Environments
Girls Coding Week
6th – 10th of August
This one week workshop was designed for girls between 11 – 12 years old. We used our app Pocket Code to design games, stories, and own apps. Programming is super easy and cool – and especially for girls!
Coding Day City of Graz
26th of July
One day coding workshop at TU Graz with 17 students between 12-15 years old. #gamecreation #createyourownapp #Pocket_Code
Workshop on "Gendersensitive CS- Didactics"
11th of June 2018
Content: Dr. Bernadette Spieler presents her research and experiences wit gender and CS, reflection on own practice and explains possibilities for IT courses. Discussions on teaching in gender-mixed classes and how the lesson structure and material used can be designed so that students benefit equally regardless of their gender. In addition to a brief input, the workshop also provided space for exchange and discussion, case studies and examples for integration into one’s own practice.
Gender&IT Conference Heilbronn
15th of May 2018
Talk: Reinforcing Gender Equality by Analysing Female Teenagers’
Performances in Coding Activities: A Lesson Learned
Creative Bodies & Creative Minds Graz
26th – 27th March 2018
KF University of Graz
Conference organizing committee, session chair
Workshop & Lunch Talk: For the workshop the participants worked alone or in a small team and code a game app. They learnt something about coding through direct experience, tinkering, collaboration,
and creativity. To think about an idea first can be hard sometimes. That’s why we proposed initial ideas and code fragments they could use within their game.
DigBiz Talk Graz
Students’ Conference “DIGITALIZATION”
Workshops @Graz & Vienna
PH Steiermark, Game City Vienna, …
European Conference on Game Based Learning - Graz
More past events will be added soon…